Erdington Ward comprises the most of the Erdington area, stretching from the Short Heath area to Pype Hayes, and includes Court Farm and part of Wylde Green. Since being moved out of Sutton Coldfield in 1974, it has formed one of the four wards that make up the constituency, and is the ward that the constituency derives its name from – Birmingham Erdington.
Having origins back to before the Middle Ages and mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086, Erdington has been a thriving community which has seen much growth. The area was greatly expanded during the 19th century and large parts of modern day Erdington originate from this time. Notable features from this time include St Barnabas Church, the Sir Josiah Mason Orphanage, Erdington Library, Rookery House, the Nocks Brickworks and the Sutton New Road. This was built for trams to use as a by pass for the Erdington High Street, which remains a key shopping district in Birmingham, and is the third largest retail district in the City.
The 20th Century saw many key features in Erdington demolished to make way for new developments. Goodison Gardens stands on the site of the Orphanage that Sir Josiah Mason built, which gave the name to the road it used to stand on. Another large development was the Lyndhurst estate, built during the 60s as a new experiment and soon had a waiting list for houses due to much interest and publicity.
As well as Sir Josiah Mason, another famous resident of Erdington was Sir Benjamin Stone. Serving as Conservative MP for Birmingham East and the first Mayor of Sutton Coldfield, he lived at the Grange, which is now the John Taylor Hospice on Grange Road. The last Conservative MP for Erdington was Wing Commander Sir John Alan Cecil Wright.